Sunday, November 25, 2007

Nancy's First Blog

Okay, here I am entering my first ever blog conversation, which is exciting on so many levels. I shared with my students that I am blogging and also shared my confessions of being "nervous" at trying something new. They chuckled at the thought of a nervous teacher attempting something that they perceive as second-nature. The blog has been a good thing already in that it has opened up a conversation between my students and I about taking risks, talking honestly with other learners, and sharing thoughts with other readers. So, thanks to Ruth for encouraging me to try something new.

I'm going to jump right into the discussion of chapter one since I am late getting started on the blog. This is the chapter that resonated so well with me and caused me to read so far ahead in the book. For me, this chapter answered the question that I so frequently ask myself as a literacy coach: "Why do teachers spend so much time focusing on rote knowledge?"

I am privileged to work with a very caring staff at the middle school where I am employed. They nearly always make teaching decisions based on what they perceive is in the best interest of students. Just as I was finishing chapter one, I had the experience of sitting in a meeting between an entire team of teachers with a group of nearly 200 students. The topic of the meeting was the students' "lack of work ethic." The lead teacher wrote the following on the board, "Knowledge=Power." The lecture involved the teachers talking about the importance of students completing homework and the opportunity the students have to fill their heads with as many facts as possible while they have the support of teachers who have so much knowledge "to give."

Chapter one of adolescent Literacy explains why some teachers believe knowledge, not thinking, is important. Namely, that it used to be true. In the 1980's and 1990's when many teachers were in school themselves, "The text held all the answers and skilled readers could discern that meaning by setting aside their own thoughts and instead focusing on the clues left by the author." In essence, yielding your own thought to the thoughts of an author or the teacher was desirable.

Now, creative thoughts are more in need. We live in an age where students will need to focus on "making meaning and connections" and "the multiple possibilities of any situation over seeking one solution." Many teachers grew up in one age and they are preparing students for life in an age that no longer exists. The book helped me to empathize with the teachers with whom I work. They believe they are preparing students for life by filling their heads with facts. By naming the issue, I can address it. For instruction to be effective, a philosophical shift will have to happen. The caring, passionate group of people I teach with will have to come to understand that divergent thinking, not rote memorization, is the key to success in the future. As long as teachers believe that "knowledge is power," they will continue to focus instruction on the bottom of Bloom's taxonomy.

Chapter one highlights a conversation that must happen between literacy coaches, administrators, and teachers. We can't create lasting educational reform without having this dialogue.

3 comments:

Ruth Ayres said...

Wow Nancy . . . You've articulated so many of the thoughts swimming in my mind. I really appreciated the conversation about the change in the definition of literacy in chapter one (p. 7 - 8). The way you've connected it to the real-life practice makes a lot of sense to me. I've been feeling overwhelmed by the gap between the practices described in Adolescent Literacy and what is happening in secondary classrooms across the country.

I think it's also important for us to recognize that the definition of literacy will continue to change. I can imagine why some would be hesitant to want to change their practices. If they've been teaching the same way for 10 + years, it would be a big jump. It makes me realize the importance of continuing changing and improving our teaching craft.

Duane said...

Good Evening,

I am able to look at this blog at school, but I can not post a response. Sorry it has taken me so long to reply.

Where do I start. I have many things swirling like a blizzard in my brain.
I feel that we are ignoring our students and not allowing them to be intellectually engaged in the classrooms. I find that we (educators) seem to be afraid to "turn over" our discussions to the students for the lack of control. "If I am not talking the whole time, they are not leaning anything."

In reference to Derek in chapter 1, how often do educators take students for face value? Sometimes students are "labeled" because they trust the criticism/evaluation of their educator peers instead of evaluating the students themselves. Was it a personality conflict with that particular teacher? Some students do not learn from every teacher. Maybe, just maybe, they were not challenged in that classroom environment. In Derek's defense, he did make adequate progress, just not to the satisfaction of NCLB. It is important to celebrate Derek's gains but continue to find ways to help him make gains to meet the adequate yearly progress' "magic number".

I also found it interesting in the letter to Kylene that the principal was not in tune with the twenty-first-century literacy demands. Is the proverbial, "get the scores up", the only thing that counts in this country?

Ruth Ayres said...

I understand the blizzard in the brain, Duane -- it's happening in my world too. :)