Wednesday, November 21, 2007

June Yazel: Introduction

I, like Ruth, am excited about this new opportunity to read and discuss this book as well as the impact it can make on our teaching. I have already connected with this book in so many ways. For example, in Kylene Beers’ introduction, the question arises, “Is there any chance of getting it right?” I have had this conversation many times with colleagues in my building. Looking back on my adolescent years, I imagine my teachers asked the same question. The world seemed so different then and the question doesn’t change, but our methods must! That is why this work is so important. I look forward to new to new insights in literacy.

In her introduction, Kylene Beers also describes a conversation between two teachers who recently attended the NCTE convention. Coincidently, I have just returned from this years NCTE in New York. I sat in a few sessions hosted or co-hosted by some of the contributors to this book: Janet Allen, Nancie Atwell, Kylene Beers, Sara Kajder, Teri Lesesne, Robert Probst, Tom Romano and Jeffrey Wilhelm. Of course, I took notes, but having this resource, I now have access to a much longer session hosted by all of those great literacy leaders plus many, many more. Ruth’s idea to create a blog around our book study of this work has opened up the “conference” on a whole new level! Thank you Ruth!

Finally, I would like to reiterate the fact that this book is not only for English teachers. In college I remember taking a “reading” course. The Professor asserted that we are all reading teachers, no matter our teaching license subject area. Naively, I scoffed at the idea. The many years in the classroom, NCLB, state testing requirements and having to fill out my own IRS tax forms have taught me otherwise. More than ever, we need to meet adolescents where they are and carry, push and/or guide them further down the road.

3 comments:

Ruth Ayres said...

June --
I have found myself reading through the lens of "non-language arts teachers" throughout this book & wondering if the "stuff" applies outside of the LA-arena. I'm excited to hear more of your thoughts since your background is filled with many experiences outside of the language arts classroom.

My major in college was biology & the one class I took regarding reading in the content areas was life-changing for me. It was then that I realized I needed to get an English minor. It remains one of the most influential courses I have ever taken in my post-secondary work.

Between the book & this personal experience, I know deep-down that this "stuff" is important outside of the language arts classroom, the question boggling my mind is How does it apply?

Looking forward to futher conversation on this!

Nancy said...

June,

I also think that your experience outside of the language arts is invaluable. We need to hear the voices of other teachers with other perspectives. Too often, content area teachers are left to feel that L.A. teachers are trying to "borrow" curriculum time with literacy agendas.

I have so much respect for content area teachers who share such a strong passion for a content area. They make so many great connections with students who share a similar passion.

Somehow, as literacy coaches, we must find a way to communicate the need of students to read and write well in order to succeed in content classrooms. This dialogue can best happen when literacy and content area teachers meet together as respected peers, each bringing something to the table. So, I am grateful for your part in this dialogue. It adds such a unique dimension to the conversation.

You and Ruth both came to understand the importance of literacy instruction. What made you realize this? Ruth describes her class as "life-changing," and I am interested from hearing from you two about what made you take on this work in literacy. It is a shift in thinking that literacy coaches dream about, and the answers to this question may give me insight to use when working with my staff.

Nancy

Anonymous said...

Literacy, reading and writing definitely applies to non language arts teaching. In all content areas, we are trying to communicate ideas and teach students how to grasp these ideas, use them, and communicate them to others.

All content areas have been struggling with writing due to state testing. The high school and middle school in my corporation instituted “Writing across the Curriculum” where each teacher is required to have student complete a writing prompt in their subject area, grade it according to a standard rubric (similar to the Istep rubric), and turn in score results. I remember when this was mandated. Non Lang Arts teachers were beside themselves – they weren’t English teachers. This is a barrier we must break down. They didn’t want to be responsible and for the most part, I think many of my colleagues were (are) uncomfortable with grammar aspects. I looked at it as a way to help students convey their thoughts (focused on the content) and focused less on spelling and grammar, as long as it didn’t take away from the meaning.

In addition to writing in the content area, we also need to teach our students how to read the content books, textbooks and support material i.e. internet, newspaper and magazine articles. They are bombarded with so much information – they need to be able to evaluate it, question it and use it. These are all reading skills that are invaluable to content area teachers. It may require a shift in thinking and willingness of secondary teachers to open their doors (both literally and figuratively)

I see many, many connections. The tricky part is getting into other content area classrooms. It is happening at my middle school…little by little…seeing is believing.

As always, I am open to stealing, I mean trying out any suggestions. Literacy is a constant work in progress