Tuesday, December 18, 2007

June's thoughts on Chapter 3

This chapter reiterates to me one of the messages Kyleen Beers wrote about in chapter 1, “The Measure of Success.” They both identify changes in literacy demands and the lack of change in teaching methods.

Donna Alverman's use of Steve Johnson’s example illustrating what would happen if video games were introduced BEFORE books was eye opening for me. I believe this is how many of our students are coming to us. I think of my own kids and how young they were sitting at the computer, interacting with games long before they could interact - read books on their own. Sure, we would read together and they would look at illustrations and make up stories on their own. My daughter even slept with books, but video’s and video/computer games were exciting and a big part of their development too.

This experience contrasts with my own introduction to current technologies I remember my first interaction with a computer – my junior year in high school – there was one computer in the whole school – a TRS-80 that we, 5 of us, used to learn the “BASIC” programming language independent study. It’s hard to believe now, but I went through college without a word processor – Looking back, I don’t know how I made it! My post graduate studies include a vivid memory of a professor’s discussion about future technologies. He explained that in the near future, we would be able to order groceries on the computer and have them delivered to the home. I remember thinking, at the time “Yeah, by flying cars!” Now, I do much of my shopping online.

I guess the point is that the world is changing fast (I am not that old – really – really!) Technology has changed immensely over the past 20 years. I wonder what the world will look like in another 20? If I don’t embrace and utilize these technologies in our classrooms, I will be handicapping my students. Students are using these new technologies to shape their own lives. I now realize the need to be involved to help guide them, develop the critical thinking skills needed to navigate these new territories safely and effectively.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ladies,
I just stumbled upon your blog. What a great idea. I am excited to join in on the conversation.

Nancy said...

June,

The part of this chapter that addressed the imaginary world where computers were invented before books struck me, as well. Kids today are literate in a much different way than "the older generation." (I don't feel old.)

As always, my own children shape and define my philosophy of education. I am grateful that they give me a window into the thoughts, feelings, and talents of the kids that I teach.

Having an English degree and a great passion for classic literature, it would be easy to fall into the habit of teaching in a traditional way. It is the voice of my sons and their friends that shake me into reality.

Most of them "hate" reading and writing, yet when I observe them at my home, I witness a very literate, thoughtful group. They call each other on the phone (oral communication) and send each other to various utube sites. They discuss and critique videos. (Literary critique) They compose their own videos. (writing) They film, edit, and refilm. (draft, edit, revise) They write music together. (collaboration) They get C's in English class because they won't read the required STAR books and pass a test, but they spend hours researching and reading on the internet every curiosity that enters their minds; everything from rock music to world politics. I witness a group of kids who "get by" at school by fulfilling minimal requirements but experience tremendous learning separate from school. Their teachers would be amazed, but I'm sure the kids keep this underground literacy apart from the adults they teach. There is the world of school, and the literate world of home.

It seems to me that the literate world of kids today exists in three dimensions. They aren't limited to just written words. They have video and computers. They collaborate and tell stories orally and with three dimensional shapes. As I type here, my ten year old son is on the other computer creating a FLASH video of the comic books he has been writing. Our students have this tremendous capacity to learn in this way.

While the kids are propelling us into the future with their thirst for technology, they are also in many ways returning to a tradition of the past. As my children cluster around the computer to view videos, it is only a more technological version of the oral traditions of many past eras. They are watching and listening to stories. It isn't that far removed from when I visit the Indian story tellers in New York to watch them dance, sing, and weave stories.

We have to find a way to bring this underground literacy into our classrooms. I am awed when I see teens today. They are fearless, curious, natural learners.